So, I will be commuting to Kansas City for work this month. To be clear, I have never been to this area–the closest is Springfield and Branson, MO–Las Vegas for seniors. I did not get to spend much time there because of an approaching snow storm–so basically, I flew in, quickly arranged to get out, and left the next morning.
While on the flight to KC, I thought it might be fun to write out how I think the city might be, and then compare it to what I actually observe. This is what I know of KC at this point:
1. The state of KS is referenced in the movie, “Wizard of Oz”
2. Kansas and the Midwest is known for flat land and tornadoes
3. KC has a Yelp community manger, so it has to be a cool place
So, not a lot of reference or knowledge at all. This is what I think KC will be like:
- Conservative, slow pace
- I think people may be friendly, but long winded
- Style. Plain Jane, minimal styling, jewelry, accessories, and cosmetics
- I feel I will not get the humor here
- I feel accents will be non-distinguishable (not heavy in any particular direction)
- I think it will be more progressive than states I have visited in the deep south
These are the thoughts in my mind about Kansas City now. . .I’ll write a month from now to let you know if my theory is correct or not.
This is what I love most about traveling. . .fascinating stuff.